Princeton, 7; Harvard, 6.

PRINCETON WINS IN AN EXCITING AND WELL-PLAYED GAME.

The game yesterday was exceedingly close, and was lost to Harvard through her inability to hit the ball, and from costly errors made at critical points. The home team obtained a fine lead in the first inning, but after that but one run was made. Princeton undiscouraged by Harvard's lead played a sure and steady game straight through, and well earned the game. She fairly outdid Harvard, batting stronger, and fielding almost perfectly. Harvard's batting, except in the first inning, was very weak, and her field work lacked snap. The men seemed to be satisfied with the lead obtained early in the game and their work thereafter was characterized by little vigor or energy.

By the loss of this game Harvard is put badly in the rear in the fight for the championship. It will be possible to win the pennant only by defeating Princeton tomorrow, and by three consecutive victories over Yale. Harvard's chances therefore are slight, but she has a strong fighting chance for second place.

In spite of the threatening weather of the morning, a large crowd of Harvard supporters occupied the seats on Holmes, while Princeton sent a very small delegation to encourage her team. Those few were repaid by seeing their nine play a fine game individually and collectively. Brokaw's throwing to bases was very good, while the outfielders were sure catchers. Ames was down on the score card to pitch, but Young, the freshman pitcher took his place. He gave seven bases on balls, but his general work was very good. He kept his head well, allowing Harvard to bunch her hits only in the first inning. He made several wild pitches however, which let in runs. Princeton did not have very much difficulty in hitting Hawley after the fourth inning. Henshaw supported him well except in his throwing to bases which was weak. Harvard's outfielders were slow to start for the balls, and several hits were made which should have been caught by one of the three men in the outfield.

Princeton was first at the bat. Durell got his base on called balls and stole second; he got third oh Watts scratch hit, and came in on a fearfully wild pitch, Watts going to third meanwhile. Payne also got his base on balls and stole second; he reached third on Osburn's out, but was put out on a double, play Hawley, Willard to Henshaw, in attempting to get home on Dana's easy hit to Hawley. Dean led off with a clean hit to left, stole second and came in on Linn's single. Linn got second on his hit and scored on Willard's single. Howland got his base on balls, reached third on Willard's hit and came in on Henshaw's single. Willard got home on a wild pitch, and Henshaw crossed the plate on the hit of Corning, who was left on third base. In the second inning Knickerbocker made a hit, and Brokaw hit a long fly to right field, of which Linn made an excusable muff. They were both left on bases, however. Dean struck out, Linn was out at second, after getting his base on balls, and Howland flied out to Durell. Watts opened the third inning on a pretty single, stole second, took third on Hawley's wild throw to Dean, but was put out trying to get home on Payne's strike out. Osburn was out, Hawley to Willard. Willard got his base on balls, but was out on a foolhardy attempt to steal second. Henshaw made a hit, stole second, and took third on Evans' hit, but both were left on bases. Princeton was blanked in the fourth inning, but Linn scored for Harvard on a base on balls, a steal, a passed ball and a wild pitch. In the fifth Brokaw made a hit, stole second and came home on two successive sacrifices. Willard put out the third man by a fine catch of a foul. Harvard was blanked in every inning after this. In the seventh the bases were full with two men out, but Corning hit weakly and no one scored. Dana made a single in the sixth, made a pretty steal. and came in on Young's two-bagger. In the eighth inning Princeton earned three runs on three hits, and two sacrifices, making the score seven to six in her favor. Dean and Willard ended the inning with a pretty double play. After this neither side scored although Henshaw was left on base in the last inning. The score.

PRINCETON.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Durell, cf. 3 1 2 2 2 0 0

Watts, 3b. 5 1 2 2 1 0 0

Payne, lf. 4 0 0 0 3 0 1

Osburn, 2b. 5 0 0 0 4 1 0

Dana, 1b. 5 1 2 2 5 0 1

Young, p. 5 1 2 3 0 12 0

Knickerbocker, ss. 4 0 2 2 1 3 0

Brokaw, c. 4 2 1 1 11 2 0

King, rf. 4 1 0 0 0 0 0

Totals. 39 7 11 12 27 18 2

HARVARD.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Dean, 2b. 4 2 2 2 3 2 0

Linn, rf. 3 1 1 1 1 0 1

Howland, 3b. 4 1 0 0 2 2 1

Willard, 1b. 2 1 1 1 13 1 0

Henshaw, c. 5 1 2 2 6 2 1

Hawley, p. 5 0 1 1 0 10 1

Evans, cf. 5 0 2 2 0 0 0

Corning, ss. 4 0 1 1 0 3 0

McKean, lf. 4 0 0 0 2 0 0

Totals. 36 6 10 10 27 20 5

Innings. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Princeton. 2 0 0 0 1 1 0 3 0-7

Harvard. 5 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0-6

Earned runs-Harvard 2, Princeton 5; two base hit-Young; stolen bases-Dean (2), Linn, Henshaw, Corning, Durell (2), Watts, Dana (2), Brokaw; first base on balls Howland, Linn (2), Dean, Willard, (3), Durell (2), Payne; first base on errors-Harvard 1, Princeton 3; struck out-Dean, Howland (2), Hawley (3), Corning (2). McKean (3), Payne (2), Knickerbocker, Brokaw and King; passed balls-Brokaw 2; wild pitches-Hawley 2, Young 4; double plays-Hawley, Willard, Henshaw; Hawley, Henshaw, Howland; Dean Willard; flies caught-Harvard 4, Princeton 7; fouls caught-Harvard 3; out on bases-Harvard 3, Princeton 3; left on bases-Harvard 10, Princeton 8; time-2 hours 8 minutes; umpire-Mr. John Kelly of New York.