A Harvard Cricketer.

The following article is from a recent issue of the Boston Globe:

The naming of R. D. Brown, the Harvard captain, as a candidate to fill one of the vacancies on the Philadelphia eleven who are to visit England, is received with much favor among New England players. The young Philadelphian has made himself a great favorite. during his career at Harvard, and he is, in the opinion of many, the very best batter in New England. His style of batting is superior to the general run, his defense being perfect, and his hitting and placing all that the most exacting critic could wish.

Entering Harvard in 1887, be at once brought the college team well in the front rank and himself made a brilliant record. He went in first in the Harvard-Longwood match, and carried his bat all through the inning for 61; duplicated this feat the following week against the Mystics for 39 runs; at the end of the spring term, had the magnificent average of 59.50, and his average for the year was: 6 inning, twice not out 149 runs, average 37.25. His bowling average the same year reads: 336 balls, 15 maidens, 23 wickets, 90 runs-average 3.913 per wicket.

In 1888 he played several games with the Longwood club, as well as in all the University matches, and made the fine scores of 82, 68 and 44. His college record was nine innings for 188 runs, an average of 20.88: and in bowling he took 28 wickets for 241 runs, an average of 8.607.

This year he has made several fine scores, his 47 for Harvard vs. Longwood being a splendid inning. Going in first, he was last man out, his inning being a fine display of first-class batting, and he played perfect cricket all through. So far this season he has played eight innings, 1 not out, made 151 runs, which shows a average of 21.57.