Harvard, 4; Princeton, 3.

Harvard won a championship game from Princeton on Holmes field Saturday afternoon with the score of 4 to 3. Owing to a threatened storm the audience was comparatively small. The college men turned out in large numbers and under an efficient leader cheered well, doing much toward winning the game. The effect of the enthusiasm was plainly shown by the way in which the nine worked during the eighth inning. Harvard won the game more by a streak of good luck than anything else. The two errors made by Princeton in the seventh cost them the game. Harvard's batting was very poor. Only 3 for 4 does not appear well when placed beside 6 for 8. Dean and Henshaw deserve especial mention, and Willard's coaching was good. The out field had no errors. The game was well played by Princeton, who are able to bat, a thing which the Harvard team is at present unable to do. Young's pitching is worthy of remark.

Princeton came to the bat and Durell got his base on balls. Watts' first ball struck him on the head but he pluckily stayed at the bat. He got out by Evans on a long fly. Henshaw caught Durell on second, and Payne struck out. Dean got first base on balls, but Linn was out on a fly caught by short stop. Dean stole second. Howland was pitched three balls and struck out. Second to first caught Willard, and Dean was left on second. Osborne was given first. Dana hit sharply but the ball was fumbled by Downer, so that he got first but was caught by Corning on second on Young's hit, and presently Osborne reached third. Young got first on put-out of Dana and Knickerbocker's hit brought Osborne home. Brokaw got first on balls, but was left by King's long fly, caught by Evans. Henshaw's long hit was muffed by centre, Hawley struck out and Evans was stopped on first. Corning struck out. Durell's easy grounder put him out at first by Willard, unassisted. Another base on balls gave Watts first, after two strikes. Payne also was given a base on balls. Osborne was struck out with three balls pitched. Dana also struck out, and two men were left on bases. Downer waited well and was given first. Dean was struck out but Linn was given first by good waiting. Howland hit short to first and was put out. Downer was on third and Linn on second with Willard at the bat. He was given first and Henshaw came to bat. His short hit to second put him out at first with three men left on bases.

Young sent a grounder to Corning who fumbled it until it was too late. Knickerbocker got a base hit which carried Young to third. Linn canght Brokaw's long hit to right but nobody scored. King bunted the ball and got first, but Young was out at home plate, Downer to Henshaw. Durell hit short and was caught out by Hawley. Hawley made fifth strike out. Evans followed, number six, but Corning got first on balls and around to third by a wild throw to second. Downer, however, was out on a foul tip and Corning was left. Watts led off for Princeton with a bunted ball, and reached first. He soon started for second but was caught ten feet away by Henshaws well thrown ball. Payne gave Willard a chance to make his first assisted put out by a grounder to Dean. Dean stopped a hard grounder by Osborne and made a remarkably good throw to first, catching his man. Harvard did good work during this inning. Dean came to the bat but was out on a foul, Linn was out on a fly to short stop. Howland's good fly was caught by left and Harvared was again in the field. Dana fled to Evans, Downer assisted Willard to put out Young, Knickerbocker got first on balls but Linn caught Brokaw's hit and Knickerbocker was left. Willard bit long but centre field ran well and caught it. Henshaw struck out and was in same manner followed by Hawley. King led off with a three base hit away out beyond Linn's reach; a wild pitch brought him home. Howland assisted Willard to put out Watts, Durell reached second, Henshaw did some good throwing to second in trying to catch him. Payne made a base hit and Evans did not throw far enough so that Durell got home, and Payne reached second. Willard's good stop of Howland's throw put Osborne out. Corning to Willard put Dana out so that Payne was left. Score Harvard O Princeton 3. Evans got first on balls and Corning reached first on thirds errors. Downer followed and got his base on short-stop's error. Three men on bases and Dean at bat. He made a base hit, the first of the game bringing in Evans and Corning. Linn out on a fly to second and Howland made a long hit to right which put him out but on the play Downer reached home tieing the score. The ball was thrown wildly to the plate and Dean got home, winning the game. A fly put Willard out. Score, Harvard 4, Princeton 3. Young got a hit, Knickerbocker, base on balls, Brokaw also got first on balls. Three men on bases, none out, King's long hit to Linn put him out, no score. Dean caught Durell's fly, no score. Watt's liner was caught by Downer and the side was out with three men left on bases. Henshaw led off with a single to left, but Hawley got out on a foul tip and Evans on a long hit to centre. Corning made a beautiful two base hit past third bringing Henshaw to third. Downer left men on second and third. Payne out at first by Dean. Evans caught Osborne's fly and Dana flied out to Dean after three balls and two strikes had been called on him. The score:

HARVARD.

A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Dean, 2b. 3 1 1 1 6 3 0

Linn, rf. 3 0 0 0 3 0 0

Howland, 3b. 4 0 0 0 0 2 0

Willard, 1b. 3 0 0 0 8 0 0

Henshaw, c. 4 0 1 1 4 3 0

Hawley, lf. 4 0 0 0 1 0 0

Evans, cf. 3 1 0 0 4 0 0

Corning, ss. 3 1 1 2 0 2 1

Downer, p. 3 1 0 0 1 5 2

Totals. 30 4 3 4 27 15 3

PRINCETON.

A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Durell, cf. 4 1 0 0 2 0 1

Watts, 3b. 4 0 1 1 1 0 1

Payne, lf. 4 0 1 1 1 0 0

Osborne, 2b. 4 1 0 0 1 3 0

Dana, 1b. 5 0 0 0 6 0 0

Young, p. 4 0 1 1 0 9 0

Knickerbocker, ss. 2 0 2 2 1 0 1

Brokaw, c. 2 0 0 0 11 0 1

King, rf. 4 1 1 3 1 0 1

Totals. 33 3 6 8 24 12 5

Innings. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard. 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0-4

Princeton. 0 1 0 0 0 0 2 0 0-3

Earned runs, Harvard 0, Princeton 0; two base hit, Corning; three base hit, King; stolen bases, Dean, Corning, Kiner; first base on balls, Harvard 6, Princeton 8; first base on errors, Harvard 3; Princeton 3; left on bases, Harvard 8, Princeton 11; struck out, Harvard 7. Princeton 3; passed balls, Harvard 0, Princeton 0; wild pitches, Harvard 1, Princeton 0; time, 2 hours; umpire, John Kelly.