An Incident of the Mott Haven Games.

The following article appeared in yesterday's New York Star:

At the last intercollegiate games a warm dispute occurred as to whether T. G. Shearman, Jr., of Yale, should be entitled to use the pole owned by R. G. Leavitt of Harvard, in the pole vaulting competition. The measurers were divided on the subject; but as two are a majority of three, their decision was that the Harvard man should lend his pole. The subject, being such a novel one, has been much canvassed in athletic circles during the past week, and the universal opinion seems to be that if a man takes his own private pole to a competition he is entitled to use it and not lend it to any other competitor who might want to use it. Mr. H. H. Baxter, N. Y. A. C., who holds the best record at this game in this country, states that Leavitt was done an injustice, and if the officials at a competition where he was taking part should decide that he would have to lend his pole, which was built expressly for his weight, to a man much heavier, who was liable to break it, that he would withdraw from the competition. He considered a man's pole fully as private as his pair of spike shoes. At the next meeting of the A. A. U. they will probably pass a resolution coinciding with Mr. Baxter's ideas.