The Atlantic Monthly.

In the January Atlantic the serials by Henry James and Edwin Bynner are continued. Gaillard Hunt, in an article on the United States pension office discusses the defects in the present system of granting pensions and suggests practical measures of reform. Agnes Repplier contributes an interesting article on "English Love Songs," and illustrates it by a number of pertinent quotations.

"A Precursor of Milton" is a sketch of the life of Avitus, Bishop of Vienne who flourished at the end of the fifth century, and whose ideas Milton is accused of appropriating. A number of analogous passages are given to prove the charge of plagiarism. Frank Gaylord Cook contributes a biographical sketch of John Dickinson who wrote a number of papers during the Revolutionary period on the political situation and the needs of the time. "The Quest of Mr. Teaby" is a short story by Sarah Orne Jewett."

"Over the Teacups" is an interesting article by Oliver Wendell Holmes in which he gives many anecdotes of himself and his classmates, and discusses the pleasures of a long life. The number closes with the usua book reviews.