The Soldiers' Field.

Mr. Higginson's gift to the College is fast being completed, and it is gratifying to know how many men even now visit the grounds. With the present force of fifty men, the field will be finished about the middle of next month. At present they are digging trenches all over the 20 acres, in which the gravel from the now levelled banks is put, while the loam thus thrown up is spread 10 inches thick over the entire surface. The dike is being strengthened against the tide; and the few remaining acres beyond will be gradually filled by college refuse. A few trees have been left, thus breaking the monotony of the level ground. The whole field will be drained through a tide-gate, which is made to work automatically-closed by the tide as it comes in, opened as it goes out. Next spring the ground will be seeded, and then will be closed for a year, that the grass may take good root. The expense for the whole cannot be exactly given; but the cost for grading alone is $10,000. It has been suggested that a club house will be needed. Certainly this is a good idea. There is no better house than the old Willard homestead, which is on the edge of the road. This is large and convenient, and the use of it will save the expense of building. If this is not done, the house, as well as the two smaller ones, must eventually go.

It is not yet decided how the grounds will be laid out. It is hoped that some good landscape gardener will do it. Baseball and football will probablly use most of the field. There should be a track for bicycle riding. The present one on Holmes is smaller than one could be made here, and is besides dangerous for riders because of the crowds passing across. But in these things Mr. Higginson will of course be consulted.