The Cary Building.

Now that the bad weather is approaching the teams will have to do most of their practice in doors; this is especially the case with the crew and nine. The Gymnasium and the Cary building are the two places fit for such work. The former is familiar to everyone but the latter is much less known.

The two handsome double doors of the Cary building lead into a short hall which opens to the right and left. In these rooms are lockers-twenty in each. The rows of lockers are much farther apart than in the Gymnasium, and therefore a great improvement.

Passing through the left hand room one comes to the tank. This is about 57x30 and extends through the depth of the building. The room is well lighted by windows at the ends and a skylight from above. The tank itself is lined with zinc and fitted up with a big rowing machine to accommodate the crew. A border of floor surrounds it on all sides.

On the opposite of the building, and with a like situation and dimensions is the base ball cage. At present the floor, which is made of fine gravel and mud, is solf and wet as it is being put into good order. The cage is well lighted and admirably adapted for the use of the nine.

A hall runs through the rear part of the building and opens near Jarvis. On one side of this is a large and well fitted wash room with a shower bath beyond. This room is far better than anything of the kind in the Gymnasium. Opposite this are two "Fives Courts" for hand ball. They are of a good size and extend to the top of the building, thus giving the advantage of a sky light. The floors are of cement and slope down, making the play lively. These courts are a great addition and have but one fault, which, however, is a great one. The walls are so constructed that it is almost impossible for one man to hear another unless he talks in a whisper. Every noise seems lost in a great wave of the echo and sound.

The rooms in the upper story of the building are necessarily few as the tank, cage and courts extend to the roof. There are only two, and a tub bath. The former contain about sixty lockers.

The third story is limited to one room-a drying room. In the corner of this is a dumb waiter, which runs up from the ground floor for the purpose of carrying clothes.

The Cary building is finished throughout with hard pine and presents a neat and fresh appearance. The plastering has been colored a deep brown, which harmonizes with the rest of the building. Nearly every window is protected on the outside by an iron grating and an odd feature about them is that the sash slides up into the wall.

In the basement is all the machinery. This consists of a self-operating pump, a boiler and a fan. This latter mixes the cool air with steam and thus provides the room with a moist atmosphere. This fan is called a "Sturtevant blower." There is a duplicate one in Technology. The boiler is of about eight horse power and sixty pounds.

The Cary building is under the charge of Mr. Enright, the janitor, and he employes a fireman, who attends to the machinery.