Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Scratch Races.

Anyone who thinks there is no fun in college life should have seen the freshman scratch races yesterday afternoon. It must have been fun for those who rowed, and it was certainly immense fun for those on shore. The crews got off from the boat house a little after four and at the end of the short practice some of the crews were rowing pretty well.

The crews, four in number, rowed in barges. The course was in front of the boat house, from the bend just below the coal wharf down to the bridge. It was a very short course but it seemed to use up the men pretty well.

The races didn't begin till nearly quarter of five. The first heat was between crews 1 and 2. Crew one had the course next the boat house. Crew 2 got the best start but crew 1 crept steadily up on them. Then No. 5 in crew 2 caught a crab and kept it nearly half the course. In crew 1 No. 2 broke his oar. Crew 1 came in a length ahead.

Both of the other two crews rowed well. Crew 4 won by one-fourth a length. The final heat was then rowed between crews 1 and 4. Crew four had the course next the boat house. Crew one got a wretched start; their boat was pointed way out of the course. Crew 4 kept the lead and won by three fourths of a length.

The crews and their coachers were as follows:

Crew 1.- Thompson stroke, Coonley 7, Wolfson 6, Benbow 5, Gleason 4, Kellogg 3, Crane 2, Hervey bow; coached by Porter '92.

Crew 2.- Bishop stroke, Whiteside 7, Niles 6, Hockley 5, Olmsted 4, Buckminster 3, Battelle 2, Darman bow; coached by Powers '92.

Crew 3.- Loring stroke, Bell 7, Spooner 6, H. Williams 5, S. Williams 4, Johnson 3, Long 2, Sand bow; coached by M. Williams '91.

Crew 4.- W. Cabat stroke, Magrath 7, Cary 6, Breckenridge 5, Oliver 4, Beebe 3, Wells 2, P. Cabot bow; coached by Cummings '93.

Perkins '91 was starter and Hight, L. S., judge at finish.