Signet Dinner.

The dinner held at Young's Tuesday night in celebration of the twentieth anniversary of the founding of the Signet was an unqualified success. There were present about seventy members, old and new. Professor G. L. Kittredge, president of the alumni association, acted as chairman of the dinner. Speeches were made by Professors James, Wendell, Lanman and Hart, and by Messrs. W. K. Blodgett, '78, H. McK. Landon, '92, E. B. Hunt, '78, H. L. Wheeler, '81, L. Pulsifer, '90, G. R. Pulsifer, '88, J. Prentiss, '84, and others. Professors James and Wendell discussed as length the proposed reduction of the requirements for the degree of Bachelor of Arts at Harvard College. Professor James showed that men begin their professional training earlier throughout the Continent than in America. In England men graduate at about the same age as in America. There, however, most members of the more highly educated classes are rich, here they are poor. In England, consequently, an aristocratic system of education is possible; university education in America, on the other hand should aim above all to be democratic.

Much informal discussion of the past, present and future affairs of the Signet followed, and a proposition looking towards an annual reunion of the alumni and active members seemed to meet with general favor.