City Manager Talks Cambridge Emergency Shelter, Discourages Street Closures in Council Meeting

On Leave Due to COVID-19 Concerns, Forty-Three Harvard Dining Workers Risk Going Without Pay

Harvard Prohibits Non-Essential University Travel Until May 31, International Travel Cancelled Until August 31

Ivy League Will Not Allow Athletes to Compete as Grad Students Despite Shortened Spring Season

‘There’s No Playbook’: Massachusetts Political Campaigns Navigate a New Coronavirus Reality

Verestchagin Exhibition.

The most interesting picture in the collection now on exhibition at 401 Tremont St. is Millet's "Angelus," which is too familiar to need any comment. The paintings of Verestchagin immediately impress the spectator with their remarkable power. Many of them cover enormous canvasses, and give a wonderful effect of distance. Among the military scenes, "The Conquered" and "The Road of the War Prisoners" are the most striking. The painting of "Jesus in the Desert" gives an extraordinary sense of loneliness. The faces in the large groups and small portraits alike are executed with great care and individuality. Among the smaller pictures the snow scenes show a unique power in the use of white; and the paintings of the Pearl Mosque give the effect of reflection on a marble floor so perfectly that it is difficult to believe, at first, that the scenes are only on canvass. The mosque pictures also show a remarkable power of detail.