The Marine Laboratory of Johns Hopkins.

The Marine Laboratory of Johns Hopkins, which has been closed for several years from lack of funds, is to be reopened in the Bahamas under the direction of Dr. William K, Brolks. At its first establishment at Chesapeake Bay and Beaufort. N. C., valuable studies were made in propagation and maintenance of the oyster, which have been published and widely circulated. In 1886 the laboratory sought a wider field, and in June of that year seven students, under the supervision of Dr. Brooks, prosecuted their studies at Green Turtle Key, in the Bahamas. The results were so successful that the next year a party of twelve, consisting not only of Hopkins students. but also of professors from other colleges. spent March, April, May and June at New Providence, near Nassau. The third year the university was unable to send out an organized force, but Dr. H. V. Wilson, who is now resident naturalist at the Government fishing station at Wood's Holl, Mass., spent several months at Green Turtle Key, in the study of marine life.

Professor Brooks will select his associates for the present expedition.