Changes at Columbia College.

There has been considerable talk lately about enlarging the college buildings at the corner of Madison Avenue and Forty-ninth street. There is at present much need of a large assembly hall and both the library and the School of Arts need more room. Then too the enlarged demands upon the Law School must be met. Hence it has been decided by President Seth Low and his advisors to erect a handsome structure in place of the unsightly old buildings which now occupy the centre of the block. There is also some talk on the part of the trustees about forcing the attendance at chapel of all students in the various schools. At present, this duty is confined only to the members of the School of Arts.

Much interest has been taken by the New York lawyers in the extension of the Law School course from two to three years. There is a diversity of opinion among lawyers as well as among students of the senior class as to the best studies for the last year, but all concede the desirability of lengthening the course, and under the present regime all students now in the school must complete a three year course before receiving the L. L. B. As a result of this there will be no graduating class this year. One of the features of the new three year course is the establishment of an experimental moot-court. Dr. Dwight claims that the proposed innovation will make the work in the class room and that in the law offices contiguous. But to those who do not desire this aid, some other work will be assigned.