University Crew.

Yesterday the 'varsity crew rowed over the four mile course. They started shortly after six o'clock, and at the start had a brush with a scratch crew. Below the second bridge a '91 crew rowed with them as far as the Longwood bridge. The class crew had Randol stroke and three substitutes; but rowing a very fast stroke they drew away from the 'varsity about half a length in the half mile. Below the railroad bridge the freshmen took them up for the next half mile. Neither crew gained much advantage, but the freshmen stopped and the sophomores took it up with the 'varsity. Owing to some mistake the '92 men were over 100 yards out of the course of the 'varsity, out they took up a fast stroke and rowed about a mile. There was such a distance between the crews that it was hard to tell which was gaining, but the sophomores seemed to stay well ahead all the way down. At the Harvard bridge the class crew rowing 34 strokes a minute was about two lengths ahead. The 'varsity rowed about 31 a minute.

Opposite Dartmouth Street the seniors started a length ahead, rowing a fast stroke, but the 'varsity quickened, and when they reached the West Boston bridge had drawn up level.

At Craigie's bridge the 'varsity was a length and a half ahead, but No. 3 in the '90 boat rowed the whole race off his seat, and at one time four men in the boat were off their seats. The seniors rowed in the big English shell, which was wretchedly rigged.