Princeton's Post Graduate Department.

During the last few years the post graduate department of Princeton has increased very rapidly, so that at present it forms one of the most important branches of the college. The post graduate courses are open to advanced students only, and are divided into five departments, Mental Science, Historical and Political Science, Language and Literature, Biology, and Physical and Mathematical Science. The first named department, namely of Mental Science, ranks first in importance and in size. This year it contains 50 or 60 students and Dr. Patton, and Professors Ormond and Shields conduct the courses. After a two-years' resident, or a three-years' non-resident course, after an examination in the work they have pursued, and after the presentation of a thesis, the degree of Ph. D is conferred.

The department of Historical and Political Science is under the direction of Professor Sloane and of the professor of Political Science. Professor Sloane conducts a class of about fifteen in the methods of historical research, and next year he will give a new course of lectures on "The History of Political Theory."

The department of Language and Literature contains about twelve students, who pursue their work under Dean Murray, and Professors Karge and Winans. In this department the degree of Litt. D. is awarded under the same conditions as that of Ph. D.

The department of Biology comprises a two years' course in laboratory work under Professors Osborn and Scott. The department of Physical and Mathematical Science, under the direction of Professors Magie and Fine, has eleven students, six of whom are studying mathematical physics and five higher mathematics.