Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Appleton Chapel.

Rev. Francis G. Peabody preached at Appleton Chapel last evening. He took as his text the third verse of the 11th chapter of second Corinthians-the simplicity of Christ. At the present day we would almost say that every thing in our lives is tending towards the opposite of simplicity. The missionary of simplicity may well look with pity on the modern world with its complexities of fictitious pleasure and joys. In spite of this apparent tendency, however, there is a growing desire in the heart of real man for the charming directness and sweet simplicity like that of Christ. This simplicity is not that of the child, nor that of the ignorant; it is that attribute of character which the noble man and woman will acquire by keeping their hearts pure and untrammeled. This simplicity is the outcome of singleness and unity of purpose which sets one free from artificiality and unreality; it is the devotion of life to a single and concentrated end. Not only must the simplicity have its outcome from singleness of end, but this end must be a high one. If it be of this character it will take away pride and evil ambition from man and will make him truly simple and pure. The final force, moreover, which brings this simplicity in all its strength and nobleness is religion. Religion holds the real secret of simplicity which will, in due time lead to a haven of rest-an end that is sure.

The choir sang the following selections: Far from their home, Woodman; Chorus from "The holy city," Gaul; O that I had wings, Kent (1700).