Columbia Matters.

There are rumors on foot that there are soon to be great changes in the School of Arts at Columbia. It is proposed to alter the course by increasing the electives in the junior, sophomore and freshman years. The object is to provide as well as possible for a liberal education by reducing the compulsory studies to the minimum, and by so arranging the electives that the student will naturally incline towards devoting himself to specialties. If these proposals are carried out, the School of Arts will be able to produce a most attractive academic course. The proposals originated with the University Council, and if they are accepted by the Faculty, they will be laid before the Trustees on February 2 for final consideration.

The library at Columbia has been greatly increased within the past year. It has received some valuable additions in the way of work on Zoology from a gift of Mr. Charles H. Senff. The library has also purchased a complete set in 195 volumes of the British Museum catalogues of Natural History.