Ninety-five 20; W. P. I. 10.

The freshman team played its first regular game yesterday afternoon on Jarvis field against the Worcester Polytechnic eleven and won by a score of 20 to 10 in two twenty-five minute halves.

The Ninety-five eleven is very light and has a good deal to learn about the game, especially the men in the line. The team however played a good offensive game and the backs showed more snap and team work than do the usual freshman backs. They did not fumble, ran well and showed that they were able to stand a good deal of hard work.

Worcester put up a strong, rough game and made frequent use of the wedge; in fact they scarcely ever ran their backs with the ball; so that the freshmen had no chance to show what their ends could do but had to ram against a V continually. At first Ninety-five could not stop these wedges but later on they succeeded and Worcester often lost the ball on four downs. Neither side punted at all, the game was wholly a rushing one and when the freshmen were on the defensive they were apt to forget their work and go to sleep. In the second half the Worcester men weakened, out their opponents did not seem to mind hard work and made great gains through the centre. Whitman, the quarter-back and captain, did all the goal kicking for Harvard and made some very pretty kicks.

Harvard won the toss and took the ball. They made four yards on a V. Raymond gained around the end and through the centre and then McNear ran around the right end and scored a touch-down almost immediately after play had begun. Whitman kicked the goal Score 6-0. Worcester did not make much ground until on the third down Allen got the ball and made 40 yards. Another V failed and Allen scored. Southgate kicked the goal. Score 6-4. The freshmen could not gain and Worcester got the ball on four downs. They tried a V but it was broken. They got five yards through the centre and five more for offside play, but Harvard soon got the ball for Stoddard's holding. Jackson then made a beautiful run of thirty yards around the end and Raymond scored. Whitman missed the goal. Score 10-6. Worcester could make nothing by her wedge and on the third down Allen was tried and again scored. Southgate punted out a try at goal but the ball went to Harvard on a fumble. The score was now a tie.

In the second half the Worcester team used their everlasting wedge but by this time the freshmen had learned to break it pretty successfully and the visitors lost the ball on four downs. Jackson and Raymond gained around the ends several times and 10 yards were made right through the centre. Southgate stopped Jackson after he made ten yards around the right end and then McNear scored a touch down. Whitman kicked the goal. Score 16-10. This touchdown was stubbornly fought but after it had been made Worcester seemed to play with less life. After a V had failed Allen was given the ball and made another long run of twenty yards when he was downed by Raymond. The freshmen stopped the wedge four times and got the ball, but Allen prevented Jackson and Raymond from gaining and Worcester again got the ball. It was carried pretty near the Harvard fine when Southgate tried for a goal from the field but kicked into the line and the freshmen got the ball. Then it was that they showed their superiority to the Worcester men and by repeated gains around the ends and by shoving the centre they brought the ball within twenty yards of Worcester's goal. Jackson then carried it over after making a beautiful run. Whitman tried to kick a very difficult goal nearly thirty yards back and just barely missed it. Score 20-10. Time was soon called with the ball in the middle of the field.

The teams:

W. P. I. NINETY FIVE.

Stoddard, (left-end) Wadsworth.

Butterfield, (left-tackle) Eddy.

Burdick, (left-guard) Wardner.

Rogers, (centre) Kaven.

Stevens, (right guard) Murchie.

Alderman, (right-tackle) Allice.

Rollins, (right-end) Richardson.

Clare, (quarter-back) Whitman.

Allen, (half-backs) McNear.

Bartlett, (half-backs) McNear.

Southgate, (full-back) Raymond.

J. A. Saxe, umpire; C. A. Tucker, referee.