Summer Schools.

The number of students at the Summer Schools this year was a little under three hundred. There has been an impression among many that the Summer Schools have been a factor in the late increase in the regular students in the University. This is not the case, as the Summer Schools have not been reckoned in at all.

The following numbers are probably not exact. Some few students may have been omitted, some may have been counted in more than once in case they took more than one course, but the total is tolerably accurate. The course in Physical Training was the largest, having eighty four members, and was conducted at the Gymnasium. The next in numbers was the Chemistry Department, with fifty-two students. These courses, which continued six weeks were conducted in Boylston Hall. There were twenty-two members of the Elementary Physics course, and twelve in the advanced. There were thirty students of Geology, in two courses, A and B. Both met at first in the Agassiz Museum in the mornings and spent the afternoons in field work. Later, division B went to Utica and Catskill, N. Y., Meriden, Conn., and to Delaware and New Jersey, division A continuing in Cambridge as they began.

The Botany School, with twenty-one students, continued five weeks, at the Botanic Garden. In the afternoon, laboratory work was conducted in the new Botanical Museum, and every Saturday an excursion was made in the vicinity of Cambridge.

There were eighteen students of English, thirteen of German, eleven in French, eight in Topography, four in Anglo-Saxon, four in Railroad Surveying. Twelve attended the lectures on Methods of Instruction.