Icelandic Saga.

Professor Charles Sprague Smith delivered the second of his course of lectures on Icelandic Saga, last evening, in Harvard 1.

In introduction Professor Smith spoke of the isolated character of the development of Icelandic life and literature. The barreness of Iceland's soil and climate compelled the hardy Norseman to a life upon the sea, but this struggle for bare existence did not claim the best of Iceland's great men.

The Icelandic Sagas differ from European literature both in their style and in the circumstances which prompted their composition. Iceland, during her development lived in peace. The Icelanders were proud of their traditions and thus old tales were preserved in their integrity. Consequently the Sagas impress the reader with a belief in their truthfulnes.

Iceland's Heroic Age exrends from the settlement of the island to 1067. Ari, Iceland's greatest scholar and historian, possessed in a marked degree abilities for historical writing. He was a priest-chief, and was a devout Christian, but he cherished none the less the traditions of his country. He was more than a mere chronicler, he was an historian, possessing an appreciation of the true relations of events one to the other. He was the father of Icelandic letters.

Among Ari's writings are the Saga of the history of the Norwegian Kings, the Christni Saga, and the Eislandinger-Bok. The purpose of this Eislandinger-Bok was to afford a narrative of events particularly interesting to Icelanders. While the authority of the former works is sometimes questioned, the authority of the Eislander-Bok is undoubted. This book was the primer of Icelandic history.

In conclusion, Professor Smith exhibited a number of fine stereopticon views of Icelandic scenery, life and customs.