Prizes at Harvard.

The Chauncey Wright prize of $25 is offered this year, as usual, to juniors, seniors or graduates pursuing regular courses of study at the University, for the best mathematical thesis on "a critical examination of a certain geometrical construction with a view to testing its value as a solution, exact or approximate, of the problem with which it deals." The Dante prize was won for 1889-90 by C. S. Latham, but he died before the award, and this sum of $100 is again to be competed for by students in any department of the University or graduates of not more than three years' standing. Four subjects are proposed, all having connection with Dante or his works. The Sargent prize of $100 is offered, this year, for the best metrical version of the sixteenth Ode of the third Book of Horace. Undergraduates in Harvard College and students of the Society for the Collegiate Instruction of Women may compete,

The George B. Sohier prize of $250 is for the best theses presented by a successful candidate for Honors in English or in Modern Literature. The competitors may be undergraduates in the college, Harvard graduates resident as Graduate School students, or students pursuing courses of instruction in Cambridge under the direction of the Society for the Collegiate Instruction of Women. $450 has been divided into fourteen prizes, ranging from $20 to $40, which will be given to students of Semitic 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, but only in case a high degree of excellence is attained. For the best essays by any students of the University on the ethical aspects of the modern social questions two prizes of $100 each will again be offered. The Boylston prizes for elocution are awarded to seniors and juniors, two first prizes of $60 each, and three second, of $45 each. The Toppan prize of $150 is for the best essay on a subject in Political Science, and the Sumner prize of $100 for the best dessertation on a subject connected with Universal Peace and the methods by which war may be permanently superseded. The former may be competed for by students in the Graduate School or any of the Professional Schools who have received an academic degree, and by all graduates of the college of not more than three years' standing; the Sumner prize may be won by a student in any department of the University. Subjects for competitors for each of the last two prizes are announced each year.