Tug-of-War.

The candidates for the 'varsity tug-of-war team met yesterday afternoon in the gymnasium. Rhoades '92, sent out postals on Saturday to all the men who are thought to be capable of pulling well, and, although not all of the men who will try for the team were present, the outlook for a good team is encouraging. Yesterday Gardner Perry, L. S., coached the men, and it is probable that he will do so in the future.

As nearly all of the men were out of condition, it was impossible to do much work, or to get a very good idea of their strength. Today or tomorrow, however, the men will begin regular exercise, pulling every day for a short time, and taking a short run. In order to get in any sort of condition to pull at the second winter meeting, they will have to do very careful and hard work.

The men used the spring yesterday, and merely tried to get a correct position, without doing very hard pulling. A number of the men had pulled more or less before, and there were a few new men. Today Johnson '93, and Bisbee '93, will come out, and it is understood that a number of other old men will begin very soon. The following were present yesterday: N. T. Robb '93, F. S. Eddy '94, H. S. Flint '93, J. W. Ganson '93, R. W. Wood '91, H. H. Henry '94, F. Winsor '93, and S. L. Friedenberg '93.