A New Cup for Harvard and Yale.

According to a despatch in yesterday morning's papers the graduates of Harvard and Yale about New York have taken a step which will encourage track athletics at Cambridge and New Haven, and serve to draw the two universities closer together.

Many Alumni have together subscribed $500 for the purchase of a cup to be striven for every year in track contests. These athletic games must be held annually sometime in the month of May or June of each year, 1891 to 1899 inclusive, and the winner of the majority of these nine contests will become the possessor of the cup, which is to be known as the University Track Athletic Cup. The time and place for holding each contest, the number and nature of the events, the points that are to count, the rules regulating each contest and each event, the method of counting, the rules regulating the eligibility of contestants and all incidental matters, including the construction of all rules, are to be determined and may be changed and amended by representatives of the two universities, each of which is to have four. Wendell Baker and George B. Morrison are named as Harvard representatives, and Walter Camp and Henry Stanford Brooks as Yale representatives. The remaining four members of the committee are to be the captain of the Mott Haven team and one undergraduate, chosen by the University Athletic Association from each university. In addition there shall serve on the committee one undergraduate-not a senior-from each college. He shall not have a vote.

The subscribers have given the cup into the hands of four trustees-Robert Bacon and Henry S. Vanduzer of Harvard, and J. Frederick Kernochan and George A. Adee of Yale, with full power to act as if they were the sole donors, even to changing the original deed of gift. In case of a vacancy occurring among the trustees the remaining representatives shall appoint a new member.

The H. A. A. could make no official statement in regard to the matter. The thing has not yet been definitely settled.