Harvard vs. Boston.

The League Team Wins the First Game on Jarvis Field.

Four or five hundred people sat on the benches on Jarvis yesterday afternoon, and the lovers of the national game stood five deep outside the fence, while the Bostons beat the Harvard team by a score of 9 to 4. The game would have been an interesting one but for the many errors of the Harvard team. Howe pitched a good, steady game, striking out eight men, and our nine slightly out-batted the Bostons. But the eight singles of the league team were materially aided by the errors of Harvard, especially in the second and sixth innings. Only one run of the nine which the Bostons made was earned.

In the first inning, Kirmis and Brodie led off for Boston with two singles, Stovey and Sullivan were out, Dean to Trafford, and Quinn fied out to Dean, leaving Kirmis and Brodie on second and third. For Harvard, Dean knocked a long low fly, but Sullivan got under it. Hovey flied out to right field. Hallowell had reached third on a base on balls and a wild pitch, but had no opportunity to score.

In the second, Ganzel knocked a hot ball to Dean who fumbled it. Lowe followed with a clean hit, which took Ganzel to third. Lake drove another at Dean, who again fumbled, and Ganzel came home. A wild throw of Howe's and another error by Dean let in Lowe. This ended the scoring for this inning. For Harvard Frothingham went out at first and Dickinson struck out. Upton hit easily to the third bareman who threw so wild to first that Upton reached third. He was coached there to run too far over and was caught.

In the third Boston again scored two runs on hits by Quinn and Lowe, a sacrifice by Nichols and an error by Hovey. With two men out for Harvard Dean knocked the ball over the right field fence into a horse and carrage. This was good for three bases. Dean scored on an error by Ganzel, who felt so sure of putting out Hallowell at first that he played with the ball and dropped it. Hallowell was caught in an attempt to steal second and this ended the inning.

In the fourth and fifth innings neither side scored. In the sixth Kirmis and Brodie each got a base on balls. Kirmis went out on an attempt to steal third, but Brodie reached the plate on a wild throw of Upton's to Trafford. Hovey gathered in Stovey's hard hit very prettily, and then threw needlessly wild to first, and Stovey reached third. A sacrifice by Sullivan brought him in. Quinn made first on a hard hit to Dean and reached home on a piece of bad fielding by Frothingham. Lowe flied out to Hovey. For Harvard Hallowell got a life on an error by Quinn. Hovey made a magnificent hit over the head of Boston's centre fielder, which brought Hallowell in, and would have been a home run but that Hovey neglected to touch second base. He was therefore out at second. Trafford flied out. Frothingham hit safely but was caught trying to steal second. in the seventh neither nine scored. In the eighth Boston made two runs on two bases on balls, an error by Upton, and a sacrifice by Ganzel. Harvard also scored two. Dean made a fine two bagger which seemed to rattle the professionals, for they made three or four errors in soccession, including two by Quinn. These let in Dean and Hallowell, the latter having reached first on a grounder which Quinn fumbled badly. In the ninth again neither side scored.

Following is the score:

BOSTON.

a.b r. b.h. t.b. s.h. p.o. a. e.

Kirmis, 3b., 5 0 1 1 0 2 5 2

Brodie, c.f., 3 1 1 1 0 2 1 0

Stovey, r.f., 3 2 0 0 0 1 0 0

M. Sullivan, l.f., 4 1 0 0 1 3 0 0

Quinn, 2b., 5 2 2 2 0 7 4 4

Ganzel, 1b., 5 1 1 1 1 7 2 1

Lowe, s.s., 5 2 2 2 1 2 1 0

Lake, c., 5 0 1 1 0 2 3 1

Nichols, p., 2 0 0 0 1 0 3 0

Clarkson, p., 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 0

J. Sullivan, p., 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Totals, 40 9 8 8 4 26*21 8

HARVARD.

a.b r. b.h. t.b. s.h. p.o. a. e.

Dean, 2b., 4 2 2 5 0 1 4 3

Hallowell, c.f., 3 2 0 0 0 1 0 1

Hovey, s.s., 4 0 1 1 0 5 3 3

Trafford, 1b., 4 0 0 0 1 9 0 0

Frothingham, r.f. 4 0 2 2 0 1 0 1

Dickinson, l.f., 4 0 2 2 0 1 0 0

Upton, c., 3 0 1 1 0 9 4 2

Cook, 3b., 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 2

Howe, p., 3 0 0 0 0 0 13 2

Totals, 33 4 8 11 1 27 24 14

*Hovey out for not touching second base.

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Bostons, 0 2 2 0 0 3 0 2 0-9

Harvards, 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 2 0-4

Earned runs, Boston, 1. Two base hit, Dean. Three base hit, Dean. Stolen bases, Stovey (2), M. Sullivan, Quinn (2), Ganzel, Upton. First base on balls, Kirmis, Brodie (2), Stovey (2), M. Sullivan, Hallowell, Upton. First base on errors, Stovey (2), M. Sullivan, Ganzel (2), Lake (2), Hallowell (3), Hovey, Upton. Struck out, Kirmis (2), Brodie, Lowe, Lake, Clarkson (2), J. Sullivan, Dickinson, Cook. Double plays, Clarkson, Ganzel and Quinn; Kirmis, Quinn and Ganzel; Brodie and Quinn. Wild pitch, Nichols. Time, 2 hours. Umpires, Henshaw, L. S., and Quackenboss, M. S.