The Advocate.

The influence of the mid-year period is evident in the ninth number of the Advocate, for there is a slight falling-off in this Advocate from the excellence of the previous issues of the magazine. With the exception of one or two things, there is nothing in the number which evinces a startling originality of conception or extreme carefulness of execution.

The brightest bit in the number - for its author is mindful of the old adage, that "brevity is the soul of wit" - is the first of the College Kodaks. It is a clever parody on the style of criticism which permeates the English department in general and which seems to be the particular hobby of English B and English 12 instructors in particular. In view of the character of the parody, one almost feels tempted to dub its author a "tonsorial artist." Although this first of the Kodaks out-ranks the rest, the second and third are worthy of notice.

"A Ghost Story" is a short tale, concisely and clearly told. The plot is well sustained and the general effect is good.

"A Battle with Prejudice" is one of the best pieces of prose in the number, although it is below the usual standard of its author's work. As a character-sketch it is fairly vivid, although lacking a certain clearness of portraiture which is almost always a characteristic of its author's work in this line.

The author of "Mixed Doubles" evidently has a curious idea of the cerebral ruminations of the average Duluth man, for that an inhabitant of that "Zenith City of the Unsalted Seas" - as he tersely designates Duluth - should take an expelled Yale junior for the Republican candidate for Governor of the State, and a Colonel at that certainly reflects small credit on the people of that city. The comedy of errors which ensues is amusing but the extreme incongruousness of the plot rather vitiates the effect of the whole.

"The Philosophy of the Unconscious" is trite in its plot and is rather long drawn out.

"The Wicked Flee When no Man Pursueth" is a character sketch of country life, rather clever in its plot, and naturally related.

The editorials deal with the questions of A Western Overseer, the new gymnastic classes, the running up North Avenue in scant attire, and an open spring meeting (in the latter for which the author waxes humorous in his references to medals.)

The only verse of the number is a seven-line poem entitled "The Quest." It is daintily conceived.