None

No Headline

The growth of interscholastic athletics in the last half dozen years has been astonishing. The present Interscholastic Athletic Association which holds its large indoor meeting on Saturday has only an existence of a very few years. Those who in the spring of 1886 saw the first meeting of the association at Southboro' in which but three schools competed, would hardly have believed that in the short space of six years the association could have grown to its present proportions. With the growth of the association has come a marked rise in the standard of the athletics themselves. At the first meeting of the association the hundred yards dash was run on one of the Southboro' roads; now there is no track which the young athletes consider too good for them. Much more pains is being taken, too, in the training; many of the competitors have been working under Mr. Lathrop, and Mr. Cornish of the B. A. A. has had many others under his care. The result is that much more interest is manifested in the meetings and the competitors do far better work and care more about winning.

All this has a direct bearing on college athletics. A great majority of these young fellows enter some college or other, many of those in the preparatory schools around Boston coming to Harvard. The train which they get at school, especially if they work under Mr. Lathrop, is of immense help to them when they come to run at college. This school training shows itself in two ways when the fellows come to college: first, there is a higher quality of athletics in the entering class and the material can be worked into first class shape in a shorter time; and second, more material is apt to present itself to be worked up. If the boys have run while in school, they will be much more apt to come forward as competitors in college, than if their attention had never before been called to running or jumping. While interscholastic athletics should always be kept within proper limits, it is for the interest of collegiate athletics to give them hearty encouragement and support.