Aquatics at Cornell.

The question of an international college boat race at the World's Fair has caused considerable comment from the press of the country, which with hardly an exception favors the admission of Cornell some way or other into the contest. It is stated that the winner of the Oxford Cambridge race would be unwilling to row the winner of the Harvard-Yale race, for by so doing the championship of the world would still remain unsettled, if Cornell chose to dispute the claim and insist upon rowing the English crew herself.

The attitude of Harvard and Yale in refusing to admit Cornell into the race at New London has been characterized as unfair and unsportsmanlike. There is of course another side to this, but it is interesting to note the efforts which are being taken to bring about a race and the possible outcome. Cornell certainly considers the time ripe to make a stand and if possible to assert her rights to be considered on an equal footing with Harvard and Yale in aquatics. It is hardly possible however that she could induce either college to favor a triangular race for next June. If Cornell is to race at all it is more likely that her chance will not be given until the event actually takes place at Chicago.

There are three ways in which the question can be settled. The winners of the Harvard-Yale and Oxford-Cambridge races could race together merely to test the relative abilities of those four colleges. This would probably be popularly known as a contest for the world's championship though such a claim would be manifestly unjust to Cornell if allowed. But if the proposed contest should come off at all it is far more likely that the English Crew, the Cornell crew and the winner of the Harvard-Yale contest will row in a triangular race. A third and not at all unlikely solution of the question may be found in a falling through of the whole plan.

To give some idea of the feeling at Cornell we quote the following, taken from "The possibility of an international race this year has made the hearts of Cornellians beat high with hope and has drawn more than usual attention from the outside world to the Cornell crew. If Oxford or Cambridge send an eight to America in seems hardly possible that the championship can be decided without considering the Western claimant for the honor. A rumor is indeed current that neither Oxford nor Cambridge will row Harvard or Yale until one of the latter has defeated Cornell.

The spirit generally manifested here is not now one of indignation and resentment for the repeated refusals of the Eastern universities to row Cornell. It is, rather, one of hopeful expectation, based on the consideration of the prospects of an international race and the conviction that Harvard and Yale will in time see that the best interests of aquatics require them to row a college which has sent out victorious crews year after year and which has established a record which compares with the best made.

The outlook for the 'Varsity crew is promising. All who were in last year's boat, with the exception of Witherbee, are in training, and, besides these, several members of the '94 and '95 freshman crews are competing. No man is sure of a place, Courtney has declared, and, spurred on by this incentive, the work has opened vigorously."