German University Life.

At the meeting of the Graduate Club last evening, Professor Von Jagemann and Dr. Richards talked in an informal and thoroughly delightful manner of the customs of German universities, as they appeal to American interest. There is no comparison possible between German universities and American colleges. The German boy gains his training in nine years solid work in the gymnasium, as it is called. When he enters a university he leaves general education behind and devotes himself to one particular object.

Again, it is hard to say which of the German universities excel. To begin with there is none of the keen rivalry between German universities that exists between American colleges. Almost every student obtains his university education by travelling from one to another, and very few indeed do not attend at least two universities. Consequently, the students are not deeply attached to any particular university, and, as the government furnishes the endowments without favoritism, there is no reason why one university should forge ahead of the others. The scope and plan of all is the same, but each is particularly strong along certain lines.

The professors are allowed to offer just such courses as they please. When a man is once admitted into the faculty of one of these universities, it is presumed that he has good sense to give courses where he is able, and, on the whole, the presumption is borne out by experience.

The professors can never fall behind the times, owing to a rather unique custom which has become established in Germany. Any man, after a proper course of study, is entitled to come to a university and offer lectures in opposition to the regular professors, so that, if a young man pursues his investigations farther than the professor, he soon supplants him in the favor of the students.

The utmost freedom is allowed the students. They may elect what lectures they please, and may attend those lectures when they please. There are no examinations till the very close of the university course. Of course, this relaxation, following upon the grinding work in the gymnasium, has some evil effects for a time, the men let their work go to a great extent, out it is not long before they settle down again to serious study,

On the whole, they are rather boisterous and self-assertive, not at all afraid to express approval and disapproval even to their professors. They undoubtedly carry their drinking too far, but there are remarkably few drunkards in consideration of the great extent of drinking. The old practice of duelling has in almost all cases lost its elements of danger; the duels are now mere contests, and friendly contests at that, of pluck and skill. It is noteworthy that such a thing as betting or gambling is absolutely unknown among them.

The life of the student is very simple. They all live in plainly furnished rooms, in comparison to which the ordinary rooms in our dormitories would seem palatial. Every man rooms alone. Their meals are as frugal as those of the German people generally. There is a good deal of the naive and unsophisticated about the students; they are fond of simple amusements like walking in the country or attending the theatre. They take life easily and enjoy to the full all the good things in it. but in all they manifest a seriousness of purpose and soundness of mind.