English VI.

Debate of Dec. 21, 1893.

Debate of Jan 18, 1894.Question: "Resolved, That President Cleveland's conduct in regard to the Hawaiian question is commendable."

Brief for the Affirmative.J. F. TWOMBLY and W. F. WILLIAMS.

Best general references: North American Review, Dec. 1893 and Jan. 1894. Blount's Report, daily papers for Nov. 20, 1893.

I. The American minister aided and abetted the Hawaiian Revolution. (a) By his speeches and general conduct. (b) By the landing of troops. (c) By premature recognition of the provisional government.

II. President Cleveland has done all in his power to right this wrong by striving to restore the status quo. (a) He has observed international law, treating both queen and provisional government justly. (b) He has acted constitutionally. (c) He has acted constitutionally. (c) He has upheld a standard of honor and justice. (d) He has established a good precedent in international relations. (e) Finally, having done all that he legally could do, he has handed the matter over to Congress.

III. Cleveland's policy accords with the general sentiment of the majority of the Hawaiians.

Brief for the Negative.H. C. WELLMAN and C. T. WENTWORTH.

Best general references: Minister Thurston in New York Tribune, Nov. 22, 1893. Professor Alexander in Tribune, Nov. 25. Minister Stevens in Boston Herald, Nov. 30, and Dec. 21. Senator Hoar in Cong. Record, 1893-94, p. 458 (Dec. 20, 1893). Senator Dolph in Cong. Record, 1893-94, p. 21 (Dec. 5, 1893).

I. Cleveland should have obtained reliable information. But, (a) Blount, the commissioner sent for this purpose, proved a prejudiced partisan. (1) Evidence taken in secret. (2) Most of testimony royalist. (3) Important witnesses rejected. (4) Evidence favorable to revolutionists suppressed. (b) Blount's report essentially false. (1) Contradicted by Stevens and Thurston. (2) Their testimony corroborated by reputable eye-witnesses.

II. Even granting Cleveland's information to have been correct, his policy was impossible of execution.

III. Though perhaps acting with good motives, the object which he attempted was contrary to justice.

IV. His methods were contrary, (a) to international law, (b) to the constitution, (1) Instructions to Willis, (2) Appointment of Blount.