Harvard-Yale Debates.

The debate to be held next month in Sanders Theatre will be the fifth contest of the kind between Harvard and Yale. The first one was held in Sanders Theatre January 14, 1892. The debaters were, for Yale, R. R. Upton, W. E. Thoms and W. P. Aiken; for Harvard, G. P. Costigan, Jr., R. C. Surbridge and A. P Stone. The subject was: "Resolved, That a young man, casting his first ballot in 1892, should vote for the nominees of the Democratic party." No decision was rendered.

The second debate was held March 28, 1892, in New Haven. The speakers were, for Yale, T. Mullaly '92, J. I. Chamberlain '94 and W. A. McQuaid '92; for Harvard, E. H. Warren '95, F. W. Dallinger '93 and J. S. Brown '92. The subject was: "Resolved, That immigration to the United States should be unrestricted." This time, also, there were no judges.

The third debate was held January 18, 1893, in Sanders Theatre. The Yale debaters were F. E. Donnelly '93, E. R. Lamson '93 and H. S. Cummins, L. S. Harvard's representatives were C. Vrooman, Sp., E. H. Warren '95 and A. P. Stone '93. That year both Yale and Harvard wished to have judges. They were President E. B. Andrews of Brown, Professor E. R. A. Seligman of Columbia, and Hon. W. E. Barrett, speaker of the Massachusetts House. The subject was: "Resolved, That the power of railroad corporations should be further limited by national legislation." Harvard had the negative side, and the judges decided in her favor.

The fourth debate was held May 2, 1893, in the Hyperion Theatre, New Haven. Yale was represented by L. P. Gillespie '94, H. E. Buttrick '95 and N. A. Tyner, L. S. Harvard was represented by H. C. Lakin '94, F. C. McLaughlin '93 and F. W. Dallinger '93. The judges were President Low of Columbia, President Gates of Amherst, and Professor Smith of Columbia. Harvard had the nagative side of the question, "Resolved, That the time has now come when the policy of protection should be abandoned by the United States." Harvard won again.