Intercollegiate Debate.

The competitive debate, to choose the three men who shall represent Harvard in the debate with Yale in Sanders Theatre, January 19, will be held at 7.30 in Sever 11, on December 12. H. A. Cutler will preside. There will be three judges from the faculty. Each speaker will be limited to five minutes. The question for debate is, "Resolved, that independent action in politics is preferable to party allegiance." Yale has chosen the affirmative. This, however, does not necessarily imply that all men shall speak on the negative at the debate on December 12. Every individual in the University is invited and urged to compete. Membership in any debating society is not a necessary qualification.

This is an intercollegiate affair and is very important. It is practically the only method of determining the comparative developement in a scholarly way in the two Universities. Of course this is but one branch of scholarly work, but as it is the only means of comparison it is of considerable moment. Every man who ever has spoken or thinks he can speak should feel it his duty to come out. Harvard won twice last year, and ought to win again. As the debaters of last year will none of them compete, there will be three entirely new men chosen. Every man should feel that he has as good a chance as his neighbor.