The Medical School.

The Medical School this year numbers 447 as against 442 last year. That this increase is not larger is owing partly to the fact that the requirements for admission have been made more severe. The entrance examinations in English, which until now have been very easy, are now nearly identical with the regular college examination. In Physics, too, there has been a change, experimental Physics being allowed as well as theoretical.

Formerly only one elective examination has been required; now there are two. These are divided into two groups, French and German in one, Algebra, Geometry and Botany in the other. From each of these groups one subject must be taken. So instead of examinations in five subjects as formerly, six are now necessary for admission.

The requirement of a four years course began with last year's first class, so that at present the first two classes are taking the new prescribed course.

Professor Cheever is no longer connected actively with the school but holds his office Emeritus. Two members of the faculty, Dr. Mixter and Dr. Howell are withdrawn and their positions have been filled by Dr. James J. Putnam, Professor of diseases of the nervous system, and Dr. Franklin Dexter, Demonstrator of anatomy. There have been very few other changes and those of minor importance.