Brooks House.

Now that the money has been given for the statue of Phillips Brooks at or near Trinity church, the second memorial proposed for him will doubtless be provided for. It is a building for religious and social uses to be situated in the College Yard at Cambridge, and to be called Brooks House. It is supposed that an appropriate building can be constructed for about $100,000, It should contain separate rooms for each of the existing religious societies, a spacious and handsome room suitable for lectures and addresses. comfortable quarters for the Preacher on duty, and a library and practice room for the College Choir. For the convenience and comfort of the societies and the preachers, a janitor and his family should have rooms in the building, and should be provided with a considerable kitchen and pantry. In short it should be arranged like a comfortable parish house of the modern sort. It should also be so designed that several of the larger rooms could be thrown together whenever the societies or the preachers wished to hold a reception or to entertain in any manner a considerable number of persons. Dwight Hall at Yale University is constructed and used to great advantage in this way.

It is understood that the President and Fellows prefer this memorial of Phillips Brooks to any other at Cambridge, and earnestly desire that it may be immediately undertaken. They believe that such a building would greatly further at the University the broad religious work in which he was interested, and in a way which he would have heartily approved. They have already indicated a site for the building, namely, the corner of Quincy street and Broadway, a site conveniently central as regards the northern and southern portions of the University precincts and also close to Appleton Chapel on the West and to Memorial Hall on the North.