A NEW COURSE IN LITERATURE AND READING ALOUD.

A new voluntary course in English Literature and the Art of Reading Aloud will be given by Mr. Copeland during the second half-year. A great variety of authors, ranging chronologically from Shakespeare to Mr. Rudyard Kipling, will be discussed and read from; and novels and novels and plays - with some account of famous modern performances - will make a large proportion of the course. Meetings are to be held once a week; and the hour will be divided between reading aloud. and informal speaking by the instructor. Only good readers will be allowed to read, but good listeners will be thought not the least valuable members of the class.

The nature and the purpose of this course will be more fully explained by Mr. Copeland in Sever 11, Friday, February 24, at 3.30 p. m. Students in all departments of the University are invited to be present, and to join the course.

ENGLISH B.Grades for the first half-year will be given to each student with theme 6, on Tuesday, February 21. Any student who objects to his grade may deposit his objections in writing in the theme-box, at any time before 4 o'clock on Thursday, February 23. After that time no objections will be received. Objections duly presented in writing will be carefully considered; but in no case will grades be discussed.

APPLETON CHAPEL - SUNDAY EVENINGS.Feb. 19. - Rev. Minot J. Savage.

Feb. 26. - Rev. W. B. King.

SYMPHONY CONCERTS.Thursday evenings Feb. 23, March 23, April 13, April 27.

LECTURES ON ENGLISH LITERATURE.Mr. E. Charlton Black, late of the University of Edinburgh, is delivering a course of twenty lectures on English Literature, in Sever 11, on Monday evenings at 7.30. The lectures are open to the public, and the subjects, as far as announced, are as follows: -

Feb. 20. - Dean Swift.

Feb. 27. - Daniel Defoe.

ELOCUTION.Mr. S. S. Curry is meeting his voluntary classes in Vocal Training, Expression, and Speaking, in Holden Chapel, on Tuesdays at 10 and 11 a. m., 2.30, 3.30, and 4.30 p. m., and on Thursdays at 2.30 and 3.30 p. m.

Students who desire to join any of these classes for the first time, or to make arrangements for individual work and instruction should consult Mr. Curry at the above hours.

NATIONAL EDUCATIONAL ASSOCIATION.The Department of Superintendence of the National Educational Association holds its annual meeting, February 21st, 22nd, and 23rd. It will meet at Boston on the 21st and 23nd, and at Cambridge on the 22nd. The following is the programme at the meeting at Cambridge; -

Morning, Boylston Hall, 10.30.

I. Plans of Organization for School Purposes in Large Cities. Andrew S. Draper, Superintendent of Schools, Cleveland, Ohio.

II. The Supervision of City Schools. William H. Maxwell, Superintendent of Schools, Brooklyn, New York.

Afternoon, Boylston Hall, 2.30.

I. The Reconstruction of the Grammar School Course. Charles B. Gilbert, Superintendent of Schools, St. Paul, Minnesota.

II. The Cambridge Experiment. Francis Cogswell, Superintendent of Schools, Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Evening, Sanders Theatre, 7.30.

I. What do School Statistics teach in respect to the Moral Influence of Education? William T. Harris, United States Commissioner of Education, Washington, D. C.

II. University Extension in its Relation to Public Education. W. Hudson Shaw, Fellow of Balliol College, Oxford, England.

There will be discussions of the papers of Messrs. Maxwell, Cogswell and Shaw.