Harvard Union Disbanded.

At the meeting of the Union last evening after the preliminary debate, a motion was entered that steps be taken to the formation of a new union. It was stated that membership at present, since it is given indiscriminately, is worthless, and that to make the society one worthy of the respect and support of Harvard men, only those should be elected members who have proved their ability as sound and ready speakers.

To carry out this idea, it was moved and carried that, at the competitive debate to select speakers to meet Yale, the judges select the best twelve men, the first three to debate with Yale, the whole twelve to form the nucleus of the new society. In addition those members who spoke in the last Yale debate will also be charter-members.

This new society, as thus organized, will elect to membership such men as shall prove their ability as speakers. The society will hold open meetings, and full opportunity will be given to all university men to speak at the meetings, as candidates for membership. Thus in no sense will the scope of the Union be limited, and the character will be infinitely bettered.