Yale Backs Down.

The meeting of the students of Yale University which was called in order to decide whether or not the action of the captains of the different athletic teams in passing the rule excluding members of graduate departments from university athletic teams was within their authority, was held in Alumni Hall, New Haven, last evening.

The meeting was called to order at 7.15 by Vance McCormick captain of the foot ball team, who read the resolutions by the different athletic associations which stated that none but undergraduates are eligible to university teams. R. D. Paine of the crew moved that the resolutions be adopted and his motion was seconded by Balliet of last year's crew.

Captain McCormick then resigned the chair in favor of I. B. Laughlin, chairman of the Yale News. W. S. Maybe L. S. spoke in behalf of the graduates, and presented the arguments which have already been made, the chief one being that as the graduates comprised a third of the university they could not be shut out without the consent of the university.

Captain Ives was the first speaker in behalf of the rule. He said that the rule had not been passed hastily and that many influential Alumni had been talked to on the subject. Robert Cooke, George Adee and Hartwell among the number, and their judgment should deserve the greatest consideration.

The main ground taken by the graduates who spoke, was that by passing the rule, a wall would be built between Yale University and Yale College.

Hartwell, captain of last year's crew, then spoke very strongly in favor of the resolution. He said, among other things, that Professors Ames and White, of Harvard, had both put themselves on record as favoring the confinement of athletics to undergraduates; that Harvard would not accept the resolutions for selfish reasons, but that public sentiment would force her to it. The Captains could interpret the constitution in no other way than as allowing them the authority to act as they like.

The meeting was closed after several more speeches and the vote which was cast showed 502 against the rule to 440 for it.