New President for Dartmouth.

At a special meeting of the trustees of Dartmouth College held last Friday evening, William Jewett Tucker, D. D., of the Andover Theological Seminary was unanimously elected president, vice Rev. Samuel C. Bartlett, resigned. Dr. Tucker was present at the meeting and accepted his election. He will be inaugurated at the annual commencement in June but will enter upon his duties in the last part of May.

Dr. Tucker was born in Bristol, Conn. in 1831 and graduated from Dartmouth in 1861. During the two following years be taught school at Laconia, N. H. and at Columbus, O., after which he entered the Andover Theological Seminary, graduating in 1866. In 1875 Dr. Tucker was called to the pastorate of the Madison Square Presbyterian Church in New York City, but left that pulpit five years later to accept the professorship of homiletics in the Andover Seminary. He has twice refused the presidency of Dartmouth, but has changed somewhat during the last year and realizing the present situation, accepted the office.

Harvard men will remember Dr. Tucker as the orator at the Phi Beta Kappa exercises here last June.