President Elliot's Address at Christian Association Social.

The Christian Association held its monthly social last evening in Holden Chapel. The Glee Club rendered several songs assisted by J. A. Wilder '93.

President Eliot then delivered an address on "The principal conditions of a satisfactory career between the age of twenty five and seventy."

The life of the human race, began President Eliot, has a long infancy. One third of life is spent in preparing for the other two thirds. The first thing that a man must seek is good health; this, however, is not left all to one's self for we inherit many disorders. If we start with feeble bodies we can do much to make them strong. Of this we have a good example here, for not only have we seen improvement in athletes but also in the average physique. Let no man despair because he starts out with some physical error; it takes patience to overcome these faults, but with it it can be done.

The physical health has a great deal to do with the moral life. Most men whom I have seen go to the bad and were never able to rise again, are those men having poor physiques. The means of recovering from a bad life can be compared with a stream which has received some impurity. Lower down the stream you will see the water clear again; by constantly receiving good water from without and by depositing its sedement on the bottom, it at length regains its purity.

The next great division for which we must prepare is feminine life; this is the greatest source of human happiness. The trouble with young men is that they do not look forward to family life. Nothing better can be looked to.

When a man of fifty looks back over the period of which I am speaking, he sees the great importance of this life; the importance of selecting a good wife. Do this with deliberation not with haste; never marry for anything except love. To marry for money is the most idiotic thing a man can do.

Family life betters as it goes on; children increase the happiness and draw the ties closer. Keep married life in mind as something for which you are preparing, for on it your greatest happiness depends.

The occupation for a man who is to be a husband and father is of the greatest importance. The occupation for women is aid out by nature, but man has a large range to select from. It makes a great difference whether the occupation fits the man and the man the occupation. Selections made late in life are usually unsuccessful, therefore choose right to begin with. The question now arises as to how to make this choice. The only answer to be given is to choose the occupation which you enjoy most.

Some men do not get any knowledge of what they would like to do. There are generally men who never have done any work. To this there are a few exceptions but usually if one does not find out what he likes he finds out what he dislikes and this makes a good guide.