President Low's Gift.

Mr. Seth Low, President of Columbia College, has written a letter which bears directly on the subject of the Brooks memorial building. The letter has been received by Mr. Edwin H. Abbott, secretary of Dr. Brooks' class at Harvard, and is as follows:

" I beg you to put down my name as a subscriber to the proposed memorial at Harvard of Phillips Brooks for the sum of $1000. Primarily I am tempted to make this gift out of love for Phillips Brooks and from recognition of the great work he did for us as a people and for all humanity.

I trust it will not be the less welcome if I say that the gift is to be interpreted in part also as an expression of my admiration for Harvard University, his alma mater.

I might, if I were inclined, found this sentiment of affection for Harvard upon the honor she has done to me in adopting me as one of her own sons; but I prefer to say that I make the gift with still greater pleasure as the president of a sister university, so far as this element enters into the motive of it, in glad recognition of what we all owe to Harvard.

Her steadfast patriotism and her high standard of education are matters of pride to us all. She is justly entitled to share in the gratitude of the people for her contribution to the effectiveness

throughout his whole life of Phillips Brooks."