Athletics Fifty Years Ago.

One who has lately visited the Trophy Room of the gymnasium must have noticed an addition to the trophies, two old bats and two huge leather balls, that look almost out of place among the relics of victory on the football and baseball fields. One is tempted to call them Indian relics. They are in their proper place, however, for they are relics of college athletics of over fifty years ago. They were presented to the college a short time ago by Samuel F. McCleary of the class of '41, and are the balls and bats used by the Cricket Club of his own class. They have been in his possession since that class was graduated.

Dr. Sargent has kindly placed at the disposal of the CRIMSON the letter which he received from Samuel F. McCleary relative to the gift, and it is here published as a voice from the past and as an indication of the interest that the graduates of long ago still have in the University. After reading this very interesting letter, one cannot help thinking, how much better it was to place these relics in the gymnasium, where they will always be prized, rather than present them to some friend who might not have known how to appreciate them. It is greatly to be hoped that others will follow this example.

The letter will explain itself.

Dr. D. A. Sargent,

MY DEAR SIR:-The Harvard class of 1841, "quorum pars minima fui," had while at college within its own ranks a Football Club, a Baseball Club, and a Cricket Club. The bats and balls of the last named club have been in my possession since our graduation over fifty years ago. They are very unique in form, and are veritable curiosities today. The bats and balls were made especially for us, the former having three faces; (a section would make a triangle) and the latter were huge leather affairs, which were not thrown but were bowled at the wicket. The ball was struck not on the flat surface of the bat, but on the angle of its back.

If you think the students would like these bats and balls and keep them as specimens of those used by the class of 1841 on the Delta where Memorial Hall now stands, I will gladly send them over to you.

Yours very respectfully,SAMUEL F. MCCLEARY,Class of 1841.