Funeral of Dr. Peabody.

Appleton Chapel was crowded to its utmost capacity yesterday noon at the funeral of the late Dr. Peabody. As the casket was borne in, preceded by the pallbearers, the audience rose like one, and stood till it was placed beneath the pulpit. After the Reverend Edward H. Hall had read passages from the scripture and offered prayer, Professor F. G. Peabody spoke upon the life of the dead preacher.

Our words of eulogy for Phillips Brooks, said he, have scarcely died away, when again we are gathered to mourn for one of Harvard's great men. Brooks was a man of the new age, accepting its haste, imbibing its fervor, rejoicing in its problems; Peabody was of an earlier generation, at home within academic walk, the embodiment of serenity and peace, a noble example of simplicity, sincerity, and unworldliness.

Both, however, believed, above all other things, that life is God within the souls of men, both gave their own lives to impress this great truth upon men, both were so catholic in spirit that their mourners count themselves of every and even of no religious belief, and both were characterized by a divine simplicity. Their noble natures were at home upon the heights,-the passionate fervor of the one, and the solid tranquillity of the other were but the natural expression of their souls.

As we review the life of Dr. Peabody, our first impression is one of amazement at his eternal activity. And yet his intellectual fertility, which would have made the reputation of another man, is not that for which we hold him dear. His rare personality, his influence for untold good over two generations of men, this is the heritage he has left us. His life revealed the truth that the pure in heart see God. Behind the magnificent intellect, was the pure, gentle, tranquil heart which guided and utilized the intellect. He was one man whom we may call a college saint, and before him college men bowed, as it were, to worship.

Dr. Peabody was a prophecy of a united church. Though men questioned his doctrine no one ever suggested that he had not the spirit of Christ. As a heavy fall of snow, that, for the time, blocks all communication among men, is melted away in the presence of a genial sun; so the barriers of sect disappear and must disappear before such a kindly personality as that of the gentle preacher of Harvard. Men like him do not break barriers, they melt; they do not make an attack, they create an atmosphere.

The choir sang: Anthems, "The Sun Shall be No More," Woodward; "I know that My Redeemer Liveth;" and Hymn, "The King of Love My Shepherd is."