Deutscher Verein Play.

The "Deutcher Verein" will give its second Annual Reception on the 20th of March, in Brattle Hall. The first Reception was given in March 1892, and was very successful. This year a short play will form a part of the entertainment. The play selected is "Das Ganschen von Buchenan", a comedie in one act by Friedrich.

Das "Ganschen von Buchenan" is a bright, attractive young girl, who lives with her grand parents, the Baron and Baroness von Buchenan. Von Fink, a dashing young man from the capital is visiting the family, in order to become acquainted with Agnes, the "Ganschen," whom his uncle wants him to marry. He would like to satisfy his uncle's demands, but he has heard from an acquaintance, a certain Silberling, that Agnes is a stupid uneducated girl, and has therefore made up his mind to appear so coarse and ill-bred himself, that the grandparents will send him home. On becoming acquainted with Agnes, von Fink finds her to his surprise, a very charming girl, and he at once falls in love with her. The two get on very well together until Silberling arrives at Buchenan, intending also to sue for the hand of fair Agnes - he has heard that she is to receive a large dowry. Silberling brings some letters, among them one for Agnes, from a friend, who encloses a letter written by von Fink, in which he complains bitterly because his uncle wants him to marry that "silly country goose at Buchenan." Agnes, disappointed and offended, turns from Fink and accepts Silberling.

Just when Silberling is rejoicing over his success, however, his falseness is discovered. Von Fink explains to Agnes that the fatal letter was written before he knew her, and that the wrong impressions he had of her were given him by Silberling. Agnes invents a ruse to induce Silberling to give her back her promise - and accepts von Fink. Silberling, discovered, retires in shame and confusion.

The parts have been assigned as follows:

Du Baron L. T. Damon '94

De Baronin J. R. Oliver '94

Agnes L. F. Kiesewetter Gr.

Von Fink J. T. Stickney '95

Silberling G. T. Lapsley '93

Jacob Diener S. L. Wolff