Professor Drummond's Talk.

Sever 11 was not nearly large enough to hold the men who gathered to hear Processor Drummond again last night. Monday night, he covered, in a way, the whole subject of religion. - cleared away the objections to it. explained its meaning, appeared for its acceptance; last night he had two thoughts which he brought out with all the power of a man who thinks deeply, conceives vividly, and expresses clearly.

The first thought was that religion is both a science and an art, and that full understanding of it as a science is not essential before a man may begin to practise it as an art. Pure speculation is by no means useless, and there are men who seem to be fitted, above everything else, for investigating scientifically the place of religion in the world. White we eagerly await the results of these men's researches. and while every man may push on for himself as far as he can into the knowledge of religious truths, there is no reason why he must put off, until he knows all truth, the practice of that which he already knows. he gave a vivid portrayal of the attempts of missionaries to correct the cannibals of the pacific Islands. It is men like these that move the world, and their spirit is what young men need.

His other thought was that God not only started the processes of evolution but that he still governs their development. Men realize that God is back of all, the first cause from which everything springs, but they have yet to appreciate fully that God is not dead, that he is not powerless in the presence of his own creations, but that he is still alive, and that his activity still continues. If we understand that God's purpose is the evolution of the world, then we have one object in life, to allow ourselves to become his agents. If we will put our own will against his, then we so much hinder the final outcome of God's purpose and our lives have been a hindrance, not a help.

Now the doubt comes as to what God's will for us is. We have not the signs and the voices; we can use our common - sense. the advice of our friends, the inspirations of books, and the teachings of experience. When a man has once made up his mind as to his life and career after mature deliberation, he will do better not to alter that decision, Let him make sure, however, of one thing. - that he cast his lot in with the progressive nations. If he decide that other lands need his work, let him go to China, Japan or India where the people have a future before them; not to those lands where the natives are dying away before the white civilization. Men will be more useful to their native country than to the other parts of the world; by working there, advancing, lifting up their own country, the final perfection of the world is best aided.

If one lives a life which he can feel is filling the purpose of his being, then he knows genuine pleasure and satisfaction.

He needs only to do his simple duty, and learn to be expansive, to help the men less favored than himself, to learn that it is, in reality. more blessed to give than to receive. It is at a university that this lesson is hardest to learn; for the life though grand, is apt to be selfish. A man is with drawn from the affairs of the world and shut up with his books and his amusements, so that he needs to be cautions lest he shall be narrowed rather than broadened by his course. He must first of all be sure that no religious convictions he has shall be disregarded. It is God in him. and, once given a chance to work, will lead him toward his best life.