The Advocate.

The last number of the Advocate is up to the usual standard except in its editorials. The editorials are not elegant in style, good in sentiment and matter or forcible in diction. Moreover, humor is born not made in a writer and the efforts here to be humorous injure the high tone that the Advocate editorials have hitherto had. In several instances there is evidence of lack of grasp of the subject, a flippancy of tone that is unbecoming and a general character foreign to good advocate editorials. It were best for the writers to recognize that the fault they find with the plays of the Theatre of Arts and Letters - that the authors "thought to write a play offhand" - is to be avoided also in Advocate editorials.

While one may have no objection to an occasional story on betting or the like, a series on such subjects becomes irksome, and this year the Advocate has had enough stories of a disagreeable and shady character. The form of a story is not the only part to be made artistic, the matter

should be worth artistic treatment, and work even on a college story may well be artistic in every sense. "The Yale Game" is thin and unattractive in plot and substance and not particularly well written. The author can do much better.

"My Little Experiment" is well conceived and well written. The plot, while not strictly original is not commonplace and it has been carefully treated.

Of the "Two Sketches" - One recognizes the author from the individuality of the style - the first is the better. It is written in a happy easy style and the touches of humor and hints of character make it real and interesting. The second sketch is overdrawn and not worth printing or writing.

"The Indefinite She" and "A Story of Pierrot" are the best stories in the number. Both are the "suggestive" type that is becoming more common in writing to-day. The plot of the former is connected with college life and is carefully treated. The chief fault of the latter is the extreme conventionality of its plot; but it is saved from mediocrity by skilful treatment and the atmosphere of indefinite pathos to the whole. It is well written and if the author can find more original plots he promises to become an interesting writer.

"The Beasts" is a somewhat vague sonnet with more sound than meaning. "Meditation" by Eugene Warner is a short poem that just fills out page seven.

The Kodaks are barely mediocre.