Hare and Hounds Rules.

The rules which will govern the hare and hounds runs this fall are:

1. The pack shall be under the direction of the master of the hounds, who shall also act as pacemaker. The pack must keep within calling distance of the master until the latter gives the signal for the break.

2. Any member of the pack refusing obedience to the master in the discharge of his duties, renders himself ineligible for a prize.

3. The master shall be appointed by the Harvard Athletic Association, before each meeting. He shall carry a whistle or horn, and shall control the action of the pack by the following signals: by blowing once to stop, and twice to go on.

4. The hares shall carry paper, cut in pieces about two inches square, in bags sufficient to last the length of the run, and shall lay a plain trail, from start to finish.

5. The hares shall have selected their course beforehand, and during the run must at all times keep together.

6. The pack shall follow the trail and are not allowed to leave it and cut off ground at any time.

7. In case of water, any member of the pack may go round, but must take up the scent on the opposite bank.

8. The break shall be indicated by a pile of paper.

9. The first two hounds in shall be the hares in the next run.

10. The hares shall have five minutes start.

11. The first and second hounds will receive first and second prizes. The third hound will receive a third prize provided the three hounds get in within twelve minutes of the arrival of the hares.

12. The start shall be made from the Gymnasium at 3.45.