French Play.

To judge from the dress rehearsal of Les Fourberies de Scapin, which took place Saturday evening before the members of the Cercle Francais, the performances of the play this week will be grand successes. The rehearsal for the most part went off very satisfactorily. There were one or two defects and occasionally a slight hitch, as is usual with dress rehearsals of any sort, but by tonight these will be remedied and the play will go throughout most smoothly.

The characters which received the most applause at the rehearsal were Geronte and Scapin, the former played by H. Schurz '97, the latter by F. P. Chaves Sp. Both men did excellently. Schurz entered more naturally into the spirit of his part than did any other member of the cast, and was thoroughly in command of his lines, a point in which he surpassed Chaves. The minor part of Silvestre was admirably taken by L. C. Tuckerman '97. The cast as a whole showed a thorough knowledge and appreciation of their parts, due to the careful training they have received. It is safe to say that the play this year far surpasses those of previous years and that never before has there been such a fine cast.

The dance of the gypsies under the leadership of F. S. Hoppin, Jr., '96, and V. Munroe '96, was exceedingly pretty and well executed and called forth great applause from the audience. The great size and the bagginess of the long Turkish trousers which the sailors wore detracted somewhat from their otherwise very effective hornpipe. The stage setting of the piece was simple, but exceedingly pretty. One or two of the costumes only were a little incongruous, and these will be changed for this evening.

The greatest credit is due to R. Soutter M. S., for his careful and faithful training of the various ballets, with which he has been occupied for about a month. Another member of the Cercle who deserves particular praise, though his work has been less noticeable, is the secretary, P. F. Emory '95, in whose hands has been almost the entire management of the play.

The performance tonight will be in Union Hall, Boston, and will commence at 8.15; the next one will be Wednesday evening in Brattle Hall and these two will be the only performances given.