New Athletic Rules at U. of P.

At a joint session of the Faculty Conference Committee and a committee of the directors of the athletic association of the University of Pennsylvania held Wednesday night, a new set of athletic rules were adopted which are to go into force at once. There are eight rules in all.

Rules I and II, with reference to amateur standing and bona fide students, respectively, are substantially the same as the first two of the new rules adopted at Harvard, which were also adopted in the Harvard-Pennsylvania football agreement. Rule III, with regard to the time limit, is the same as the Harvard rule except that a student is allowed to play four years on a 'varsity team regardless of whether he has represented another college before or not. This difference is due to the fact that many of the so-called colleges from which students go to the University of Pennsylvania, are in reality little above the large New England preparatory schools.

Rules IV-VIII are with reference to matters which are not mentioned in the Harvard athletic rules, but which are governed by special regulations of the faculty.

Rule IV. No student shall be permitted to participate in any athletic contest until he shall have procured a certificate of physical fitness issued by the director of physical culture, in conformity with the rules hereafter to be adopted by the Faculty Conference Committee.

Rule V. No student shall be permitted to play on more than one athletic team in a single college year, unless he obtains permission so to do from the Faculty Conference Committee.

Rule VI. The election of captains of university teams shall be subject to joint ratification by the Faculty Conference Committee and the Board of Directors of the Athletic Association.

Rule VII. Each captain of a university team shall, at the beginning of his season, submit to the deans of the several departments of the university, a schedule or roster of the hours of practice set for his candidates, together with a list of such candidates, and he shall notify the deans from time to time of changes and modifications in said schedule and said list.