American Universities.

In the April number of the Forum is the first of a series of articles on universities and colleges of the United States. Professor G. Stanley Hall, who contributed the present article says, among other things: "Of our 139 self-styled universities, Professor Bryce thought that seven or eight or, at most, twelve, deserved the term, and Professor Von Holst finds only 'a torso of a university' in the whole country. At any rate we do not meet the demand, or 411 American students would not be found, as they were last year, in the nine Prussian universities".

"Science which for two decades has perhaps reared more academic buildings than existed before; which is coming to underlie all the arts of peace and war, and to train the experts who in more and more fields now rule the world, is now again giving to universities greatly enlarged functions, new problems, and almost a new meaning to the very word 'university.' That this new situation will be duly appreciated by a fair proportion of the one thousand millionaires in our land, and by legislators as well as by those who have set their hearts and minds upon the progress of true science in our great and beloved republic in this time of unprecedented educational opportunity, I have not for a moment a shadow of doubt."