PRINCETON WINS THE SERIES.

Princeton Scored Inning after inning. The Game Played in a Drizzling Rain.

The decisive game between Harvard and Princeton on the Yale Field yesterday afternoon went to Princeton by a large margin. For two innings the contest was sharp, and the work of both teams steady. In the last of the third, after two men were out, Harvard started the scoring and from numerous battery errors and three timely hits, one after the other, netted four runs.

This fine lead, instead of steadying the team, seemed to make them nervous. Highlands lost control of the ball; in the fourth he allowed three of the first four men who faced him to reach first. Then when affairs were in a critical condition, Winslow and O'Malley did some very poor work, and Princeton was able to make three runs, This was the turning point in the game; after that Harvard was retired with more or less ease while Princeton was constantly adding to her score.

The playing of the Harvard nine was wretched. Highlands hit five men and was pounded inning after inning. Scannell was missed. O'Malley played a plucky but ragged game. He showed weakness where steadiness was most needed. The batting was puny, and the fielding erratic. As usual, however, the worst feature was the head work. The nine did such work in base-running and in attempting put-outs as would have been expected from men just beginning to learn the game. Harvard men could not but be ashamed of these childish plays

The Yale management had given out rain checks to all applicants who said that they had been at the game on Saturday. In consequence, even though it commenced to rain long before the game was called, a crowd came out to the field which nearly filled the bleachers and the grandstand. About fifty Harvard supporters were gathered in the right of the granstand and a somewhat smaller number of Princeton students at the left. Harvard's cheering was the stronger. The Yale men did not cheer at all, but applauded every good play.

The two teams practiced in a drizzling shower which increased during the third and fourth innings into a steady downpour. There was an understanding that the five innings should be played, rain or no rain, and so the game was not stopped. In the fifth the rain stopped and this allowed the full game to be played.

The game in detail: Princeton was first at bat. Highlands hit Payne with the first ball pitched and the latter stole second a moment later. It looked like a run, but Winslow made a beautiful catch of King's liner, Paine gathered in Ward's fly, and Whittemore disposed of Mackenzie's grounder.

For Harvard, Whittemore was an easy out. Cook and Dickinson both waited till four bad balls had been pitched them, but the succeeding batsmen could not advance them. In the second, Princeton was easily retired. For Harvard, Winslow made a scratch hit, stole second, went to third on a sacrifice, but was put out while trying to steal home. Altman was carefully drying the wet ball, and the attempted steal was nearly successful.

In the third, Princeton went out in quick order, but Harvard went in as if to win the game. After Highlands had struck out Whittemore was hit by a pitched ball. Cook was the second out on a fly to centre. Dickinson for the second time was sent to first on called balls. A passed ball advanced both of the runners a base, and then Paine's timely single to right allowed both men to score. Wiggin kept up the good work with another single, and both Paine and Wiggin came home on Winslow's single and Brooks's wild throw. Winslow went round to third on the throw, and then made a foolish attempt to steal home.

The score was now four to nothing for Harvard, but this lead was soon thrown away. Ward was hit by a pitched ball, and, after Mackenzie had been retired, Otto was given a base on balls and then a passed ball gave both men another base. Altman, with two strikes and three balls called, hit to left safely. Ward scored and Otto went to third. Altman of course went down to second. Brooks hit to Winslow who got the ball but hesitated and then threw poorly to the plate. The ball escaped O'Malley and two runs came in.

In the fifth, Harvard lost the lead. Payne was given a base on balls, King and Ward made singles, and Altman hit over Wiggin's head for three bags. Harvard was meanwhile showing some poor headwork; the result of everything was four runs.

From this point on the game was uninteresting. Princeton scored once in the sixth on Cook's wild throw and Payne's single. In the seventh Altman's second three bagger brought in another run, and in the eighth the total score was raised to eleven. Harvard was not dangerously near a run except in the eighth. The score:

PRINCETON.

A.B. R. 1B. P.O. A. E.

Payne, r.f. 4 1 1 0 0 0

King, 2b. 6 1 1 3 4 0

Ward, c. f. 4 3 3 3 0 0

Mackenzie, l.f. 4 2 0 3 0 0

Otto, 1b. 2 2 1 6 0 0

Altman, p. 5 1 4 1 6 0

Brooks, s.s. 3 0 0 1 1 2

Williams, c. 5 0 1 9 0 0

Gunster, 3b. 5 1 1 1 0 0

Totals, 38 11 12 27 11 2

HARVARD.

A.B. R. 1B. P.O. A. E.

Whittemore, 2b. 4 1 0 4 2 0

Cook, 3b. 3 0 0 2 4 1

Dickinson, 1b. 1 1 0 10 0 1

Paine, r.f. 4 1 1 5 0 1

Wiggin, c.f. 3 1 1 1 1 0

Winslow, s.s. 3 0 2 3 3 0

O'Malley, c. 4 0 1 2 0 1

Corbett, 1.f. 3 0 2 0 0 0

Highlands, p. 4 0 0 0 3 0

Totals, 29 4 7 27 14 4

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Princeton, 0 0 0 3 4 1 1 2 0-11

Harvard, 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0-4

Earned runs-Princeton 2, Harvard 1; threebase hits-Altman 2; sacrifice hits-Payne, Ward, Otto, Corbett; stolen bases-Cook, Payne 2, Dickinson, Ward 2, Brooks, Altman, Mackenzie, Winslow 2, O'Malley, Corbett; first base on balls-by Highlands 3, by Altman 7; first base on errors-Princeton 2, Harvard 1; hit by pitched ball-Payne, Brooks, Ward, Otto, Mackenzie, Whittemore; passed balls-Williams, O'Malley; wild pitch-Altman; struck out-by Altman 7, by Highlands 1; double plays-King and Otto. Umpire-O'Rourke. Time-2h. 10m.