Obituary.

JOSIAH PARSONS COOKE '48.

Arthur Moodey Seelye, a first-year student in the Graduate School, was found dead on Mt. Tom, near Easthampton, Mass., last Wednesday. He had left his home in Northampton on Monday, intending to take a long walk on Mt. Tom; but as he had not returned Tuesday night, much anxiety was felt for his safety, and several searching parties were organized. Wednesday morning Seelye's body was found dead at the foot of a steep cliff over which he had apparently fallen. An examination showed that the skull was fractured at the base of the brain, causing instant death.

Seelye was a son of President Seelye of Smith College. He graduated from Amherst in 1892, and after teaching two years at Adelphi Academy in Brooklyn, entered the Graduate School, where he was making a special study of English.

Professor James D. Dana of Yale.Professor James Dwight Dana, professor emeritus of mineralogy, geology and natural history, of Yale, died Sunday, April 14, at the age of eighty-two years.

Professor Dana graduated from Yale in 1833, and was appointed instructor in mathematics to midshipmen in the U. S. Navy.

He was appointed Silliman professor of natural history and geology, at Yale, in 1850, and entered on the administration of the chair in 1855. Professor Dana became, about 1850, associate editor of the American Journal of Science and Arts, founded by the elder Silliman in 1819. Subsequent to the death of Professor Silliman he became its senior editor.

In 1872 the Geological Society of London conferred on him its Wollaston medal, and in 1877 he received the Copley gold medal from the Royal Society of London. He was a member of numerous scientific societies both at home and abroad.

In 1872, upon the celebration of the fourth centennial of the University of Munich, he received the degree of Ph.D. and, in 1886, at the Harvard celebration, the degree of LL.D. was conferred on him.

Leverett Saltonstall '44.The Hon. Leverett Saltonstall of the class of 1844 died at his residence in Brookline, Monday, April 15, at the age of seventy years, after an illness of some months.

Mr. Saltonstall was born in Salem March 16, 1825. He prepared for college at the Salem grammar and Latin schools, having entered the latter at the age of nine years. At fifteen he entered Harvard, graduating with the class of '44 of which the late Francis Parkman was also a member. In 1845 Mr. Saltonstall entered the Law School and took the degree of LL. B. two years later. After two years and a half spent abroad, he returned to Boston and entered the law office of Sohier and Welch. In 1850 he was admitted to the bar and continued in the practice of law for ten years. In 1854 he married a daughter of Mr. John C. Lee of Salem, by whom he had six children.

Mr. Saltonstall was for many years one of the prominent leaders of the Democratic party in this state. He was speaker of the House of Representatives a member of Congress, and in 1885 was collector of the port of Boston. He was commissioner for Massachusetts to the Centennial Exhibition, and held other positions of eminence.

Mr. Saltonstall was once one of the overseers of Harvard University, a member of the Massachusetts Historical Society, of the New England Genealogical Society, of the Bostonian Society and was a trustee of the Massachusetts Society for the Promotion of Agriculture and president of the Unitarian Club.