FRESHMEN vs. 'VARSITY.

The Ninety-Nine Elven Shows Up Well Against the 'Varsity.

Yesterday afternoon the freshman eleven lined up against the 'varsity for about twenty minutes, and made a very creditable showing.

C. Brewer made a touchdown for the 'varsity in the first minute of play. Gonterman scored again but his touchdown was not counted.

At times the 'varsity's playing was heavy and slow, and the interference was not up to the mark, but generally the freshmen put up a good defensive game and kept the 'varsity from making many gains.

For the freshmen, Dayton played by far the best game, both in offensive and defensive work. He made the longest gains for his side and broke through the 'varsity interference on almost every play around his end.

Farley at quarter and Richardson at end both played very well. Kilbourn played a strong, stubborn game against Stevenson.

The chief change on the 'varsity was in playing Doucette at centre. The change is necessary for the present owing to the seriousness of F. Shaw's injury. It does not now seem probable that Shaw will be in shape for the Cornell game next Saturday.

Gonterman did not get started well yesterday as the interference did not get under way very often.

The line-up was:

'VARSITY. FRESHMEN.

Cabot, l. e. r. e., Cochrane.

Moulton, l. e. r. e., Mains.

Stevenson, l. t. r. t., Kilbourn.

Holt, l. g. r. g. White.

Doucette, c. c., Fairbanks.

Jaffray, r. g. l. g., Lloyd.

Donald, r. t. l. t., Holden.

Newell, r. e. l. e. Richardson.

Borden, q. b. q. b., Farley.

Gonterman, h. b. h. b., Dayton.

C. Brewer, h. b. h. b., Adams.

Fairchild, f. b. f. b., Dibblee.